Friday, July 23, 2010

It's Almost Tomato Time!


That's right Minnesotans, it's almost tomato time! And many of you may be celebrating Minnesota's tomato season already (I'm very jealous). Earlier this summer, I decided to start my very first garden, and I'm starting to see the fruits of my labor (no pun intended)! If you've read my blog before, you know I planted seeds in little pots, in hopes of them turning into big, veggie-bearing plants. Part of my garden decided to cooperate, and other little plants weren't so fortunate.

Of the herbs, veggies and fruits I planted... the pumpkins, basil, chives, carrots, cilantro, mint, parsley, and TOMATOES, have survived! There's a few other plants that survived, but I can't tell if they are weeds, or possibly beans or cucumber plants (I can't remember everything I planted). I guess time will tell:) I've already used a lot of the herbs that have grown, but I am so excited to see that there are now actual little green tomatoes, growing on the tomato plants! I can honestly say, I never thought this would happen. My lettuce I planted also decided to sprout, but I guess I didn't get the invite to the bunny party in the garden, the day they decided to eat all the lettuce (and the bunny/lettuce relationship continues). I'm still waiting to pick the carrots, and I can't wait to see the pumpkins that will grow this fall (fingers crossed).

Now, the question is... what to do with the tomatoes when they turn ripe and red???

No comments:

Post a Comment