Sunday, November 28, 2010

My new favorite place in MN


Every kind of candy you can possibly imagine, locally-raised meats, hundreds of old-fashioned soda, freshly made pies, and BACON... need I say more???

I have driven by "the big yellow barn" hundreds of times while visiting family in Mankato and Worthington, but not once have I stopped to check it out. But that all changed this weekend! My husband and I were driving to Mankato to celebrate Thanksgiving with his mom and dad, and our job was to bring a pie. I thought that this would be the perfect time to check out the HUGE yellow barn that has caught my eye for years! Let me introduce you to "Minnesota's Largest Candy Store"...

The first thing that made me fall in love with this place, the word BACON painted in big letters on the outside of the barn! But once I stepped inside, I wanted to move in. I found candy that I haven't seen since my childhood: Big League Chew, Candy Cigarettes (I'm not condoning these), Smartie Suckers, etc. They literally have everything... even these little gummy candies that look like over-easy eggs (so cute)! They also have the biggest assortment of old-fashion soda. AJ found Jolt, which brought him back to his caffeinated teenage days, and I found a Milwaukee-brewed gingerale made with real ginger. Although I felt so cool drinking it, I'll be honest and tell you it didn't taste very good... I'll stick to the fake stuff:)

Besides that candy and the soda, this place has a great assortment of MN-raised meats. We didn't buy any up because we were in a rush, but next year I will be stocking up! They also have a variety of colorful pastas, dip and soup mixes, and other foods that would make terrific party servings. You also can't miss the freshly made caramel apples and nut rolls.

But the thing that makes this place "take the cake"... the freshly made pies! Oh my goodness, I can't begin to tell you how amazing this place smells. You literally want to eat the air! We picked out a freshly-made peach pie. It was hot, perfect, and absolutely delicious! AND it was only $9.99.

They're only open until Dec. 5th this year, so if you have any time this week or next weekend, take a day-trip to Jordan, MN and check out "Minnesota's Largest Candy Store". If you see a brown-haired girl who has set up a sleeping area... that's me. I am seriously considering moving in;)

No comments:

Post a Comment