Sunday, November 21, 2010

The "Original" Mrs. Saigh's Potato Soup

Even when my husband and I were dating, I would try making his family recipes. AJ is Lebanese, so I've tried making things like Kibbeh, but today I attempted one of his mom's recipes for potato soup! Mmmmmmmmm. I tried making this recipe once before and AJ said I didn't let it simmer long enough, so it didn't taste the way his mom and grandma make it. This time we let it simmer the whole day and it turned out really well! I made enough for an entire week of lunches, and even had enough to freeze. If you're looking for a delicious winter soup, try this one:

Potato Soup

1 1/2 c chicken broth

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1 cup diced potatoes
1/2 tsp dried dill weed

Melt butter and stir in flour and salt and pepper (will be pasty looking). Whisk in milk and stir until it starts to thicken over medium heat. Add chicken broth, celery, onion, dill weed and diced potatoes. Cook until celery, onion and potatoes are tender. Don't bring to a boil, as the milk can separate. Make 4 recipes to fill a big soup pot.

Thanks Pammy Saigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment