Sunday, October 31, 2010

This is a bold statement.

I know this is a bold statement, but Colette at the Sofitel is my new favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities! I, like many people, enjoy trying new restaurants and there have been many that I've fallen in love with... many, not so much. But after spending this past Friday night out to dinner with my hubby, I can honestly say Colette has the most amazingly delicious food!

Even though I grew up in the Twin Cities, I have never been to or eaten at the Sofitel. I was assigned to a TC Signatures shoot for TWIN CITIES LIVE last week at "Colette Bistro & Bar" in the Sofitel, so my photographer and I went to meet with the staff to see how the food is made. Executive Chef Serge Devesa took us into the kitchen to show us how he prepares the Sea Scallops. One bite and I was hooked!

After the shoot, I decided to make dinner reservations for AJ and me at Colette. AJ was running late, so I sat at the bar and ordered a $5 cosmopolitan (happy hour from 4-6pm). My bartender did not "scimp" on the alcohol. A couple sips and I was happy as a clam:) It was very tasty and that one drink held me through dinner (I had to drive).

Although I've never been to France, I imagine this restaurant to be an authentic french experience, right here in the Twin Cities. AJ ordered the scallops (per my recommendation) and I ordered the lamb. But first, we started with the crab cakes. OH... MY... GOSH! From my past experiences, it's very tough to find a good, REAL crab cake in the Twin Cities, but let me tell you... the crab cake at Colette is HEAVENLY! Thinking about it right now makes my mouth water. It has large chunks of crab, so light yet rich at the same time, and the corn salsa accompanying it is sweet and crunchy. I can only describe it as perfection (and it came out HOT too)!

Then came our meal. WOW! First of all, the presentation was impeccable. Every dish we ordered looked like a piece of art. Nothing was served warm... everything tasted like it JUST came off the grill or out of a pan (HOT HOT HOT)! My entree came with 3 large Colorado lamb chops and mashed potatoes. Each chop was cooked to a perfect medium rare, and the meat literally melted in my mouth. AMAZING!

Moving on to the star of the show... the sea scallops! When AJ took his first bite, I may have seen a tear fall from his eye, and he almost didn't share with me. The scallops are pan seared in butter and the three are served on top of truffle yukon mashed potatoes. These are by FAR the best scallops we have ever eaten! The scallops are prepared perfectly... seared on the outside and exquisitely soft and heavenly in the center. The potatoes are unlike anything I've ever eaten before... creamy, buttery, with the wonderful truffle flavor. I wanted to bathe in this dish! Thank you AJ for sharing with me:)

I don't know what it is about Colette, but I can't stop talking about it! Maybe is was the service, maybe it was the atmosphere, or maybe is was the food. You can watch my TC Signatures piece on TCL, Wed, Nov. 3rd between 3-4pm on KSTP (channel 5). I'll tell you how to get a $50 gift card for just $25! Or, if you don't think you can wait and you want to make a reservation today, visit their website: www.sofitelmplsdining.com

Happy dining!

No comments:

Post a Comment